Celery juice has been a hot topic on and off again over the years. So, is it worth drinking celery juice every day?
If you drink celery juice for 30 days you will notice a difference in at least one way or another. Of course, there are other factors in life that will determine how great an impact you get personally from the juice such as stress, exercise, and other food you eat throughout the day. Celery juice is a great way to start the day though because it has a positive knock-on effect on what you eat: when you start the day eating healthy you’re more likely to continue like this.
Since celery contains so much water it is also hydrating. This is also helped by the fact that celery contains around 215 milligrams of sodium per cup. This is an essential electrolyte that helps us maintain fluids. Of course, too much salt is definitely bad, but celery can’t be classified as a salty food. What’s more, the salt contained in celery isn’t the same as other salts. It has sodium cluster groups that are healing for the body and are the only form of sodium that destroys pathogens and helps the body detox.
This juice contains the stalks and the leaves. The leaves contain 20 times more flavones, one of the six primary types of flavonoids. It’s important to eat enough flavonoids because they reduce the risks of developing diabetes, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer’s, and some cancers. Flavonoids also have antibacterial and antiviral effects, protecting the body from viruses. The leaves have a more bitter flavor than the stalks but make sure you include them.
The reason celery juice is powerful is that it removes the pulp and leads to unique benefits. This isn’t to say the pulp is bad for you as it does contain fiber which the body also needs, but to get the maximum benefit from drinking celery juice every day (or to try it for 30 days) you need to drink it straight, without the pulp. This is said to concentrate the nutrients within the juice. As well as this, it is easier to consume more by drinking it as a juice rather than eating it.
Health Benefits Of Drinking Celery Juice
Celery juice comes with a number of exceptional health benefits. As I mentioned before, the leaves have their own powerful benefits so be sure to include them. Celery juice combined can help with the following conditions:
● Cholesterol – The 3-n-butylphthalide (BuPh) in celery reduces the amount of bad cholesterol found in the bloodstream.
● Rheumatoid arthritis – Contains Polyacetylene which helps with chronic joint pain. It also acts as a diuretic, so helps to remove build-ups of uric acid crystals that form around joints which can lead to pain.
● Blood pressure – The phthalides in celery increase blood flow and help to lower blood pressure, reducing the risk of having a heart attack or stroke.
● Cancer – It has antioxidants that kill cancer cells. The Polyacetylenes in celery also prevent cancer formations. While the Luteolin that it contains slows the replication cycle of cancer cells.
● Allergies – The Luteolin also reduces inflammation and lowers allergic responses, which can help people with asthma and rhinitis.
● Skin conditions – The sodium cluster groups help kill pathogens that are responsible for certain skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
On top of these conditions, celery is known to help the liver by reducing the buildup of fat and helping to flush toxins out. This is one of the many reasons you should feel great after drinking celery juice for 30 days.
It also has powerful antimicrobial properties that boost immunity and help fight infections. The immune system is also supported by celery’s minerals and vitamins such as potassium, folate, manganese, calcium, zinc, copper, biotin, pantothenic acid, and Vitamins B6 / K / C. This smorgasbord of nutrients all contribute to a happy and healthy body.
How To Make Celery Juice
You will need to make this juice fresh every day and drink it as soon as you make it in order to get the maximum benefits from it. The celery should be as fresh as possible and organic whenever you can.
- 18 oz Celery
- Blender (or juicer)
- Bowl (if using a blender)
- Fine mesh strainer (if using a blender)
Below is the method for preparing the juice using a blender. If you’re using a juicer just wash your celery under running water then cut it into 2-inch pieces before adding it to your juicer so the celery strings don’t get caught in the mechanism.
1) Wash your celery under running water.
2) Let it dry or pat it dry using a paper towel.
3) Cut each stalk lengthways down the middle then chop them finely all the way up, including the tops.
4) Add your celery pieces to your blender and start blending. You should start to see some juice forming at the bottom after 20 seconds or so.
If your blender isn’t very powerful you may need to add a splash of water to help it along.
5) If you see it is breaking the celery down, continue blending until you have it quite liquidy. It will also look a little frothy.
6) Place your fine-mesh strainer over a bowl large enough to catch the liquid. You may need to do this in batches depending on how large your strainer is. Push down on the pulp with a spoon to extract any remaining juice.
7) Pour your juice into a glass and drink it straight away.
It can take some adjusting to get used to the flavor and drinking it warm but don’t be tempted to put any ice in. It is supposed to be drunk as is and you’ll probably find after a couple of days you’re looking forward to your glass of celery juice. Some people love it from the start. I’m in this group but it helps that I like celery and often eat it raw without any dips just as a snack.
Either way, persevere, and your body will thank you later.
You may also like: