Have you ever imagined that a fruity treat could be your secret weapon against the seasonal flu? Well, hold onto your spoons because you’re about to discover the most delicious remedy I know!
Traditional flu shots might send a shiver down your spine, but Jello flu shots are an entirely different story. I’m so amazed by them that I can’t wait to share this recipe with you. This jiggly concoction packs a powerful punch of immune-boosting ingredients. They’re not only fun to make but also incredibly effective, and even the little ones can enjoy them.
With ingredients like agar agar, apple, carrot, and echinacea, this natural remedy is going to make the flu season easier. And if you happen to have these ingredients on hand like I did, everything will be quick and easy.
I had some dried echinacea left from my Medicinal Garden Kit planted this spring and was thinking about how I could use it in a new remedy. I got my inspiration from the flu, viral, and immune system protocol from The Holistic Guide to Wellness.
Our gelatinous hero in this recipe is agar agar. Derived from seaweed, agar agar is a plant-based gelatin substitute that sets just like regular gelatin. It’s also a rich source of fiber and can help soothe your digestive system. It contains magnesium, iron, manganese, and calcium as well as numerous antioxidants.
Apple and Carrot: Apples provide essential vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, vitamin A, and potassium that support immune function, vision, and heart health, while carrots offer a hefty dose of beta-carotene, known for supporting a robust immune system.
Echinacea: This powerful herb has a reputation for its immune-boosting properties. Echinacea will help your body fend off infections and reduce the severity and duration of colds and flu. I truly recommend growing it yourself so you can get the most out of it.
Jello Flu Shots Recipe
- 1 cup of freshly squeezed apple and carrot juice (You can use a juicer or blend and strain.)
- 1 tablespoon of agar agar flakes
- 1/2 cup of echinacea tea (Adjust to your preference.)
- Optional: honey or maple syrup for sweetness
- In a small saucepan, combine the agar agar flakes and the echinacea tea. Let them sit for a few minutes to soften.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring continuously until the agar agar flakes dissolve completely (about 5–7 minutes). Be patient; it will thicken.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, and stir in the freshly squeezed apple-carrot juice.
- Pour the mixture into silicone molds or a glass dish.
- When you’re all done, you can add honey (optional). Honey is a natural throat soother and cough treatment as well as an excellent remedy, but if you want to keep the enzymes in raw honey, make sure your gelatin mixture isn’t boiling before adding it.
- Refrigerate until set (usually within 1–2 hours).
I made this remedy using The Holistic Guide to Wellness as an inspiration. Given the season, I’m quite focused on the flu, viral, and immune protocol, and there are so many combinations you can make with the herbs mentioned there, plus specific foods, physical and mental exercises, stress-relief techniques, vitamins, minerals, herbs, massages, stretches, and detoxes. And since this book has a complete list of ailments, it’s great for every season, so you’ll surely hear from me again with another new recipe! Click on the link to see what protocols are inside.