How to Treat Cough With Beets
Beetroot has many benefits known to men. The root vegetable helps in boosting our immunity with all its essential nutrients. It is rich in Vitamins C and B9. It is also a good source of iron, potassium, and fiber, among others. But did you know that you can use beets to help with a cough?
Beets have antiseptic properties that can kill bacteria and viruses that make us sick. It also aids in the production of healthy red blood cells that help the body fight off infections. Hence, beets make a great natural remedy for people with cough issues. I’ll share with you some of the different recipes you can do with beets to help ease your cough.
1. Fruit and Vegetable Juice with Beets
This compact juice is one of the best beet recipes I have tasted. It contains beet, apple, ginger, and carrots, which are loaded with all the essentials to fight off a cough. Apples have immune-boosting properties that prevent certain illnesses. It is also loaded with antioxidants and a great addition to this beet juice recipe. Ginger, on the other hand, has anti-inflammatory properties that relax airway membranes and ease coughing. Meanwhile, carrots are considered a natural bronchodilator and expectorant. Thus, it is good for easing wet and productive coughs.
- 1 medium-sized beet, peeled
- 1 apple, peeled
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, skinned
- 2 carrots, peeled
- ¼ cup apple juice or water
- Prepare all the ingredients. Cut the beet into quarters, and slice and remove the core from the apple.
- Put the liquid (apple juice or water) into the blender and add a handful of the solid ingredients. Blend until smooth. Add more solid ingredients gradually until you have finished all of it. Each blender has its capacity so make sure not to overwork your blender by putting a lot in one go.
- Once blended, you can drink the mixture as is. However, you can also strain it using a fine-mesh strainer to extract the liquid. Squeeze the pulp with a spatula or a similar tool to remove more liquid from the juice blend.
Drink the juice as soon as you finish the procedure. It is best to drink it fresh. But, you can also store it inside the fridge for up to 48 hours.
2. Beet Juice with Cinnamon
If you want a simple beet recipe without using too many ingredients, then this one is for you. The juice is loaded with beet’s antioxidant properties. It is also very easy to do and can help with your cough problems. Cinnamon, on the other hand, has antioxidant, antibacterial, and anti-infectious properties that help with cough, common cold, and nasal congestion.
- Beet juice
- Dash of cinnamon
- Since I already have store-bought organic beet juice, there was no need for me to manually extract the juice from the beets. But if you want to have a juice fresh from the vegetable itself, you can do so by loading beets into a juicer. You can also use a blender and strain the juice out from blended beets.
- Pour the juice on glass and sprinkle it with cinnamon on top. Enjoy your drink!
You can drink 1 glass of beet juice daily to maximize its nutrients and positive effects on your body.
3. Lemon-Beetroot Tea
Lemon is enriched with Vitamin C, which is helpful to boost your immune system. The citrus fruit provides many benefits to ease cough problems. For one, it helps with congestion and reduces irritation.
The anti-inflammatory properties of lemon, combined with beetroot’s own component, make a potent remedy for cough.
- A quarter of a medium-sized beetroot
- ½ lemon
- 1 ½ cup water
- Honey to taste
- In a small saucepan, boil the water. Remove from heat once boiled.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon into the boiled water and add a quarter of the beetroot.
- Steep for 10-15 minutes until the liquid turns red.
- Remove the beetroot and transfer it to a cup. You can add honey to taste.
You can drink the tea once or twice a day until your cough is relieved. The tea is best to drink when fresh, so it is recommended to make a fresh one every time you drink it.
4. Beet-Ginger Juice
Originally crafted as a detox drink, the blend of beet and ginger makes up for an effective and natural cough recipe. It also contains apple, and lemon that work well to help alleviate cough symptoms. The recipe also includes parsley. Many people use parsley as a cough remedy and swear on its effectiveness though more studies are required to prove this point. With all of these impressive ingredients, this beet juice recipe is a must-try for cough and liver cleansing.
- 2 large beets, peeled
- 2 apples
- 1-2 inch ginger, peeled
- 1 lemon
- A handful of organic parsley
- ¼ cup water (For blender)
Steps for Juicer:
- Peel and cut ingredients to allowable sizes, which can easily fit on your juicer.
- Combine all ingredients in the juicer and juice. Follow your juicer’s instruction manual.
- Transfer to a glass or on a mason jar for storage. Squeeze the juice from the lemon onto your container before drinking or storing it.
Steps for Blender:
- Cut ingredients in allowable sizes.
- Add water to the blender and drop a handful of beets. Blend. Add the leftover beets into the blender gradually followed by other ingredients. Squeeze the lemon, and put the parsley last.
- Strain the liquid and transfer it to a glass.
The juice will last for 1-2 days in the fridge. But it is still highly recommended to drink a fresh one every time. Since the drink is also used for detox cleansing, only drink this once a day for 3-5 days. Consult your doctor before trying this recipe for any possible effects on any underlying medical conditions.
Beets are an effective remedy for cough. The root vegetable is very nutritious and very easy to prepare. You can even include it on your salads and other recipes too! However, make sure to consult your doctor first before including it on your diet. People with kidney stones or those at risk of developing it should be wary of using beets since it is high in oxalates. It may also raise your uric acid levels, which may worsen the symptoms of gout. But if you are healthy with no conditions to worry about, then beets are extremely advantageous for your health.
With the cold and influenza season in full swing, we need all the help we can get to keep our immune systems healthy and strong. Here are a few of Nicole’s top picks that are found in our Essential Winter Defense Bundle. Whether maintaining lung health, boosting immunity, or reducing fevers, each herb supports overall well-being this winter and beyond.
1 Cup Before Bed Shrinks Belly Fat All Night (Learn More)