The kidneys perform very important jobs: they filter toxins, help regulate blood pressure, and balance mineral levels. For these reasons, it’s essential we look after these two small but essential organs. The purpose of a kidney cleansing juice is to improve kidney health and general health overall.
Our diet is the most important factor in maintaining and improving kidney health. Everything that we eat and drink can impact them, some negatively and others positively. Drinking adequate levels of water is crucial for both the day-to-day functioning of our kidneys as well as long-term benefits by helping to prevent problems from developing with the kidneys, like kidney stones.
There are also many wonderful natural herbs and foods that can help cleanse the kidneys and using them in a juice allows you to take a few at once. Many people also find it easier to consume larger amounts of fruit this way. In this juice, you’ll find parsley, dandelion extract, ginger, red apple, red grapes, and lemon.
How These Ingredients Promote Kidney Health
- Parsley is a diuretic that helps flush out bacteria and germs from the kidneys. It is also thought to help kidneys by lowering high blood pressure which is a risk factor for kidney disease. The nitrates in it help improve blood flow and dilate the blood vessels. Because it is high in oxalates it can also reduce the risk of kidney stones (except for people with hyperoxaluria who experts recommend limit the level of dietary oxalates they consume).
- Dandelion extract has long been used in Native American medicine to treat kidney disease. Dandelions are rich in antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins and can protect the kidneys and also function as a natural diuretic. It’s the antioxidants that act as a powerful detoxifier for organs like the kidneys. The diuretic properties may also reduce the risk of forming kidney infections. Dandelion is known to improve digestion and minimize the amount of waste reaching the kidneys too.
- With its anti-inflammatory properties, ginger makes a wonderful kidney cleanser. Ginger is also a rich source of many vitamins and minerals. Certain extracts in ginger have been found to improve kidney functions, contributing to overall health and wellbeing.
- Red apples are beneficial for the kidneys because they contain pectin. Pectin is a soluble fiber that helps to boost antioxidants in the kidneys. Apple pectin is also known to be a prebiotic and it stimulates healthy bacteria. The peel and the core of apples contain the highest amount of pectin so add as much of these to the juice as you can.
- Grapes are actually a form of berry. Grape seeds are high in flavanoids so throw the whole fruits into your juice. Grapes are also diuretic so are good for cleaning out the kidneys. Due to their abundance of minerals, they also help detoxify. As well as cleansing and maintaining kidney health, certain compounds in grape skin and seeds can help reverse kidney damage that has been caused by a high-fat diet. They can also help prevent kidney disease in high-risk patients due to obesity.
- Lemon juice is a natural cleanser and helps detox many parts of the body. It filters blood as well as flushing out waste and toxins, helping the kidneys perform their natural job. Lemons can also help ward off kidney stones. They contain citrate which helps to stop calcium from building up and forming the stones. Vitamin C in lemons is also a powerful antioxidant that can protect the kidneys from free radicals and inflammation.
How To Make This Homemade Kidney Cleanse Juice
This homemade juice requires little prep and is still so healthy and tasty. This serving size will contain approximately 295 calories.
- 8 oz red grapes
- A few sprigs of parsley
- 20-30 drops (1 ml) dandelion extract
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 red apple
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup of water (or more for a smoother consistency)
- Blender (or juicer)
- Wash one red apple then cut it up into small pieces. There is no need to dry it and you can add this to your blender or juicer now.
- Wash 8 oz of red grapes and then add these to your blender whole.
- Wash a few sprigs of parsley then dice the leaves and stems up and add these to the blender.
- Peel and grate a small knob of ginger using a Microplane or the smallest setting of a grater. You want to end up with around 1 teaspoon of grated ginger. Add this to the blender.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon and add this.
- Add 1 dropper (20-30 drops) of dandelion extract and ½ cup of water. You can add more water to make the juice thinner if you prefer.
Blend everything until it is mixed and at the consistency you prefer.
Other Fruits You Could Substitute In This Juice
If you want to substitute the apple or grapes for whatever reason, there are plenty of great options that help to cleanse the kidneys and support their function. Since grapes are a type of berry, it’s no surprise that other berries will also go a long way in helping your kidneys.
Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and cherries can all cleanse the kidneys and protect them. Berries are packed full of phytonutrients that can stop damage to kidney cells. Cranberries are also beneficial because they support the urinary tract by removing excess calcium oxalate.
Watermelon is another good option. It’s a mild diuretic and helps to hydrate and cleanse the kidneys. It also contains lycopene which helps in the healthy functioning of the kidneys.
Enjoy the juice straight away for maximum freshness and benefit. I didn’t strain this juice but if you’re using a blender you could do this after blending by pushing it through a fine-mesh strainer or layers of cheesecloth. The skin of the apple and grapes holds many great properties, so be sure to save the pulp and use this too (could be on natural yogurt as a healthy dessert option or breakfast).
You may also like: